Bivouac.com   Trip Page   Home     Help   Index     Login
Mount Shasta - Avalanche Gulch in winter
Timestamp Free: 2019.08.24 - 18:31:16
Ranges: North America Ranges / Great Basin Ranges
  (3 days)     Elevation Gain: 2210m
Difficulty: 3: NTD
Two of summited Mount Shasta on December 13 2017.
[photo]27445128299_900ce0b35c_c1.jpg[caption]The summit of Mt. Shasta from Misery Hill[/photo]

Two of us summited Mt. Shasta December 13 2017. ( Raw GPX provided, the track is from our tent near Horse Camp where we arrived via Bunny Flat trail. )

Our climbing packing list includes about 70 separate items. Despite checking and rechecking, we missed to bring one really important piece (one of our two-way radios). It costed us some unnecessary distance downclimbing the exit chute and if not sheer luck, could be really required in the Avalanche Gulch on the way back.

Not many people climb Mt. Shasta in winter. Why it is so we still don't understand. We were the only party on the summit that day. According to the summit register no-one was there since mid-November.

We have already climbed Mt. Shasta once before. This time around we came to test, inspect and review some of our gears, get some alpine mileage to keep in shape (for the upcoming Alaska expedition) and may be to learn something new. It turned out that we learned much more than we had expected - a very productive trip was it.

Among those lessons were these:

1. Climbing with regular hiking shoes and full crampons is a poor idea. Although in 99% there will be no problem doing so, you don't want to get hurt in that remaining 1% (Russian roulette is another term for this kind of things).

2. Just yet another confirmation: a low-angle (25-30 degree) slope can kill. This is certainly not new - Stadium glacier in The Sky Pilot area has claimed a number of fatalities and severe injures. Mt. Rainier is another sad example. The reason is that it is so easy to underestimate the potential of such slopes - they don't look technical, however, a slip on an icy surface can quickly get out of control and lead to...

To see the full trip report you must login as a paid member. Use the Login Page. (message p3)