Photo Essay Page   Home     Help   Index     Login
Kindersley NW1 from the North # 15098

Below is a description of the photograph you were looking for, and the circumstances surrounding the photo.
Date: 2011.07.17
Vantage Point: The high col just to the north of NW1

Caption: The craggy north face of Kindersley NW1

PhotoDescr: This photo - along with others - was taken on Day #2 of the last portion of the grand traverse of the Beaverfoot-Brisco range of mountains, running from near Radium to Golden; this section ran from the Radium Hwy to Luxor Pass.

JA Own and I met in Radium and grunted up the Sinclair Creek trail under the strain of enormous packs. It's a gorgeous trail that runs next to a rushing stream and winds upward through high BC rain forest. It is, however, unrelentingly steep - after 6.5 kilometres and 3100' of elevation gain, we climbed beyond scrub alpine to the pass at GR 716-169 (82 J/12).

We pursued our labours uphill for another 400' and then traversed northwest around Kindersley SE4 - our route took us through the gravelly notch just right of the gendarme on the right side of the photo. We descended to the col northwest of this peak, where we dropped our packs.

We camped in a small basin about a kilometre north of SE4 . . . running water and a wind break . . . what else could one ask for? Well, thunder, lightning, and wind all night long, I suppose.

We were up and breakfasted by 7:30 a.m., and then, hoisting our packs, continued on to the north along the spine of the Brisco-Beaverfoot. We paused at the summit of Kindersley SE1, where I took this photo. According to Hans Fuhrer (former Kootenay warden, now retired in Radium), this southerly aspect of Kindersley has been climbed and without great difficulty. Neither JA nor I were convinced of this, however.

The rim of snow on the right is where JA had to turn around and leave me to continue the traverse on my own - duty called and he was perforce required to return to Calgary and his gainful employment.

With some unpleasantries, I traversed around the right-hand side of Kindersley and then ascended a solid but exposed arete on the north side.

It was a much different matter descending this arete: I took my time, checked every hand and foothold several times, and sweated a lot. Finally I made it back down and then thrashed through scree back north to where I had left my pack. After a bit of lunch, I descended the very loose choss on the east face of a subsidiary tower . . . probably more nervy with a big pack on than the descent from Kindersley.

The long ridge running north from the next col was prickly with towers and fins and so, after a vain effort to follow this route, I traversed underneath these obstructions on the west side for about 1.4 kilometres, at which point another desperate descent took me down into the headwaters bowl of the northeast branch of Kindersley Creek. It was from there an easy, although wearying, ascent back onto the Beaverfoot-Brisco spine.

It was once I had regained this spine that I looked back at NW1 and took this photo.

To see the full size photos you must login as a paid member. Use the Login Page. (message p3)