A glaciated summit on the Squamish-Cheakamus Divide, drained by Callaghan Creek, Ring Creek, Soo River, and the Squamish River. The summit has good 360 degree views and is an outstanding patch of bare rock above extensive meadows and glaciers.
In the spring of 1999, a crack was observed across Callaghan's summit ridge and sometime in the year 2000 a portion of the summit collapsed. The height of the mountain has thus been reduced by a few meters to 2409m. As of 2009, there remains a sharp and impossible to climb tower just a few meters north of the summit. This tower appears to be the summit when approaching from the west via the connecting ridge. Fortunately it is a meter or two lower than the main summit. It is separated from the main summit by a deep vertical gash.
Name Notes: This peak was named in 1914 after John Callaghan, Chief Engineer for PGE Railway during construction of their line, 1912-15, and who had helped with the selection and verification of names for BC Lands map 2B, 1914. Afterwards Callaghan was with Alberta Government Railways.