Elkhorn Mountain British Columbia #1355
Ranges: North America Ranges / Pacific Cordillera Range / Insular Mountains / Vancouver Island Ranges / Elk River Mountains
Height: 2194 m -> 7198 feet
Prominence?: 1024 m
Line Parent?: Golden Hinde (15.3 km away, at bearing 158 degrees)
Greater Parent: Golden Hinde (15.0 km away)
Location: 49.79000,-125.82806 49:47:24, -125:49:41 10U 296454 5519120 (16 km E of Gold River). NTS Mapsheet: 092.F.13 AreaCode: EM95/HI92
First Ascent: Wednesday August 21, 1912 Arthur O.Wheeler, Edward O. Wheeler, Albert MacCarthy, David Gillies, A.R. Hart, James Robertson, Herbert O. Frind, L.C. (Jimmie) Wilson, Francis Robertson FWA 1968.03.00 Peter Busch, Alastair Watt
|What is the height of Elkhorn? Although this has been debated in the past, both the 1958 and 1936 surveys show Golden Hinde to be higher.
In 1939 N.C. Stewart settled a pressing debate and confirmed that the highest mountain on Vancouver Island was not Elkhorn but rather Golden Hinde. At 7219' (2200m) The Hinde was then thought to be 20' higher than Elkhorn at 7199' (2194m). |
The NTS map shows Elkhorn to have a 7200 foot contour, so from the contour it could be as much as 7299' (2225m), which would be higher.
As of 2009, the TRIM Data shows two peaks. The north summit has a spot height elevation of 2194m, while the south summit has an elevation of 2166m. Meanwhile, the Golden Hinde has an elevation of 2195m so although Elkhorn Mountain is close, the Golden Hinde is still the highest peak on Vancouver Island (if only by 1 meter!).
1. Northwest Ridge (1912) ACC party. Class 3-4. From 8km on the Elk River Trail, cross river and proceed up prominent gully (Gr 945177). Ascend to NW Ridge, traverse to the W face after passing prominent gendarme. Climb steep chimney from ledge. Loose but manageable to the top.
Equipment: Alpine Kit
2. North Ridge (1972) J.Bajan, T.Muirhead, D.Smith, S.Wazny. Class 5.8-5.9. Route follows the true crest of the ridge. Crux is just below summit. N gendarme also climbed by this party.
Equipment: Rock and alpine kits.
3. North Face (1977) J.Bajan, P.Busch. Class 5+, glacier travel, dismal protection. Traverse glacier on N of peak to gain face. Begin on left side between two prominent gullies. From ridge a ramp leads right across the face.
Equipment: Alpine, glacier and rock kits
4. S Peak (1970) T. Volkers, M. Walsh. Class 4. From Basin SW of main massif, ascend to the col at the base of S peak. Climb S ridge, swing E into gully, traverse the flake to the right and climb up corner to platform. Continue up chimney system to ridge and onto summit.
Equipment: Alpine kit
5. East Ridge (1975) A.Harrison. Details unknown
Trips within 1 km
31 2005.08.20 West Couloir - Elkhorn Mountain Henrik Hinkkala
34 2005.07.02 Elkhorn Northwest Ridge Warren Baker
20 2003.03.16 Avalanched Out: Elkhorn Mountain quinlan Phillips
48 1996.07.10 Elkhorn Mountain by the Northwest Ridge Len Zedel
|Subject Photos View Thumbnails|
18 Elkhorn from North Reid Holmes
7 Elkhorn Mountain from Trio Mountain Sasha Kubicek
9 Twilight Hits The Golden Hinde Keith Freeman
8 Mount Myra from a subpeak of Big Interior Mountain Lucas Earl
4 Kings Peak and Elkhorn Mountain Steven Harng