Strathcona Park Kings Peak rises dramatically up from Highway 28 as it follows the Elk River on its way to Gold River. There is a good trail most of the way to the north-facing basin below the north glacier. It was constructed and is maintained by the Heathens Mountaineering Club.
The background peak to the left is Elkhorn. The rounded hump to the right is unofficially known as Queen Ridge. (There is a separate and officially named Queen Pk east of Victoria Pk, outside Strathcona Park.).
Early in the season, the prominent snow gully gives good access to the bottom of the glacier. This is a route for properly equipped parties who have ice-axes and crampons and the ability to use them, including doing a self-arrest. As the season advances, moats open beside the snow and gaps interrupt its continuity, making this route less and less of a viable option. In such circumstances, there is access to the mountain via a small trail that will get you to Queen Ridge,largely avoiding snow.
Name Notes: Micheal and James King were members of the 1910 Ellison expedition.